Thursday, June 23, 2016

Cooper William

Towards the end of my pregnancy, I started getting really nervous about having someone here to watch Hudson when I went into labor. I had heard second babies come earlier and faster than first babies so I was really scared about having time to get Hudson to someone and make it to the hospital in time. The hospital is about 25 minutes away from us, so it really worried me. We decided to have Clay's mom come out a week before my due date. As much as I wanted to meet my baby early, I prayed that he would not come until she was here. Janet got here on Saturday May 28th and I was 39 weeks that Sunday. We went on a date for our anniversary Saturday night and then I was in nesting mode, cleaning everything and making sure everything was packed for the hospital.

On Tuesday, I had a doctor's appointment and I had my first cervical check and I was 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Since I was already progressing, the doctor let me schedule an elective induction for Monday, June 6th. I was happy that there was an end in sight if I didn't go into labor on my own. I also had my membranes stripped. I was planning on having my membranes stripped after 39 weeks and I had a feeling all along that that would put me into labor, but the rest of that day I had a few contractions but nothing regular. I was kind of bummed thinking it didn't work. Wednesday morning, I woke up feeling really crampy and kind of sick to my stomach. I thought maybe this was the day, but thought it was just wishful thinking. I cleaned some that morning. Janet wanted to drive out to the hospital to make sure she knew where to go if Clay were not home when I went into labor, so we did that. We grocery shopped and then I took Hudson out to the playground and we saw some friends at the pool. They were asking how I was doing and I told them I was sad because I had my membranes stripped the day before and it obviously had not worked. That night we went to dinner at one of our favorite pizza places and came home and put Hudson to bed. I forced Clay to go on our nightly walk trying to get things going. I only made it to the mailbox and back because I was so sore and crampy. Around 10:30 PM I was texting my mom and telling her I "thought" I was having contractions but was not really sure. With Hudson, my water just broke and then I went to the hospital, so I didn't know what to expect this time.

Around 10:45 I noticed the contractions were lasting over a minute and I decided to start timing them. They were 10-15 minutes a part but still really irregular. I told Clay that I felt like it was early labor, but wasn't sure. We got ready for bed and I was trying to go to sleep, but just when I was almost asleep I'd have another contraction and they were getting painful. I couldn't just lay there through them, I kept getting up and trying to get comfortable but nothing was comfortable. I was in a lot of pain, but the contractions were still about 10 minutes apart and I remember the midwife saying not to call until I was having contractions 5 minutes apart for an hour. I was moaning and laying on the floor and was kneeling on all fours trying to get through the contractions. Clay suggested we should call the midwife. We didn't even have the right number to call. He ended up just calling labor and delivery and we eventually got the midwife on-call. The midwife was Cheryl Carol, the only one I had never seen before in the group, but I had heard she was amazing and had 30 plus years of experience so I felt good about it. She was very cheerful on the phone. I told her what was going on and told her I was feeling nauseous like I had felt when I was in labor last time. She said I could go ahead and come into labor and delivery whenever I wanted and that I was probably in labor because of the nausea. She said I could finish packing my bag, take a shower if I wanted and then come in. Well, the contractions were getting really painful so we quickly packed up the rest of our stuff and were in the car at 2 AM getting on the interstate. In the car, the contractions started getting 4-5 minutes a part and still super painful. Clay was going like 100 mph and thought it was so cool to get to go that fast. Of course no one was on the roads at that time anyway.

We got to the hospital around 2:15 and had to go in through the ER because it was after hours. Clay asked if he should drop me off and I said I could walk. It was super hard to walk all the way to the door because I was feeling so much pressure even when I wasn't in the middle of a contraction. I got into a wheel chair and we finally got up to labor and delivery. They put us in a room and gave me a gown. Clay couldn't figure out how to button it up and I was so frustrated and mad at him. I was in the midst of contractions and just wanted my epidural ASAP. I think at this point though I was still not convinced I was in real labor and didn't if they were going to let us stay. No one was coming into the room and I was crying but tears wouldn't even come out. Clay went out to the nurses station asked what we were waiting for and maybe got a little stern with them and a nurse came in right away. Thank goodness! She checked me and said I was dilated to 4 cm and my water was bulging. They were definitely keeping me! She put in my IV and got blood. They had to check my platelet count before they could give me the epidural. It was taking foreveerr.

The midwife came in and was really nice and asked what she could do for me, I said "epidural ASAP!" My contractions were at least every 2 minutes and I'm pretty sure I was squeezing the crap out of Clay's arm during them. I tried to get up to go pee after a contraction and it hurt too bad to walk or sit to pee. The midwife came back in and I asked her what position is the most comfortable and she said, "want to try to sit in the rocking chair?" That sounded awful. Right then I started screaming, "I feel like I have to poop!" I felt like I couldn't sit or stand. The midwife was so calm and said "so you're feeling a lot of pressure in your bottom? Let me check and see what's going on during your next contraction." I laid in the bed and a few seconds later she checked me and said "You're 9 cm!" And my water broke right there on the bed. She said it was time to push. I was like "No! I need my epidural! I can't do it without an epidural!" She said there was no time and she had me push her fingers out and she said the head was right there and that he'd be out very soon. I was freaking out. I begged her to let me have an epidural first, but she said there wasn't time. I have always said natural birth is something you have to really prepare yourself mentally for and I was NOT prepared AT ALL! I was basically planning on having little to no pain and LOTS of epidural. The midwife called the nurse to bring in blankets and whatever else for delivery. I was freaking out- again crying but no tears would even come out. I said "this is literally my worst nightmare!" With Clay holding one foot and the nurse holding the other, I started pushing. It literally felt like I was pooping out a bowling ball. I told Clay to say a prayer he comes out soon because I couldn't push anymore.

And after 5 minutes, at 3:27 AM our sweet boy was here. They laid him right on my chest and the first thing I noticed was all of his dark hair. He didn't cry right away and looked a little blue which scared me, but he was fine. He was perfect and he was our's. That feeling is so indescribable. I was shocked that he was already here, but I was so glad he was. I held him for a long time and tried to nurse, but he didn't seem to want to. They eventually took him to clean him up a little and weigh him. They asked if we thought he was bigger or smaller than Hudson. Hudson was 8 pounds, but he definitely seemed smaller to me. He weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces. I was in heaven. They moved us down to mother and baby and we texted everyone and told them he was here. Everyone was shocked to wake up to those texts and phone calls because it all happened so quickly. I held Cooper all night and didn't sleep at all. I was too excited and couldn't stop staring at him. He slept really well and we put him in the bassinet for maybe a few minutes and it made me sad to think of him all alone in there, so I had to hold him. I just kept thinking how perfect he was, but also how weird it was to have another baby who I loved so much, who wasn't Hudson.

Later that day, Janet brought Hudson to meet him. Hudson was a little apprehensive but gave Cooper kisses and held him for about a second. He really liked playing with my hospital bed, making it go up and down and wanted to get water and explore the room a lot. My parents were in Atlanta and drove over as soon as they could. We stayed one more night and then went home the next morning. Cooper did great and we are so grateful for our healthy baby boy. He is such a sweet, calm, easy baby. We are so happy he is here and feel so lucky to have him in our family. I am so glad Heavenly Father sent him to us. Clay and I just stare at him and look at each other and smile. I already can't imagine life without him. He is perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Haley, you are AMAZING!!! You had a baby NATURALLY! That is so scary to me and I am so proud of you. Awesome job! You did it! I loved reading this! ❤️❤️❤️❤️